Massage is a load, after which the body should feel relief.
Massage is a method of treatment based on a mechanical pre-dosed effect on the human body using special techniques. It is given with hands and/or special tools.
Massage is used in various areas of clinical medicine, in the system of medical rehabilitation, in cosmetology, sports medicine.
When combining massage with drugs, physiotherapeutic procedures, physical therapy, a high therapeutic effect is achieved.
The effect of massage on the functional state of the body
Massage has a strengthening effect on the body, improving almost all functions. Each session provides:
- Improving the conduction of impulses in the cerebral cortex;
- Normalization of respiratory and cardiac activity;
- Normalization of blood pressure in hypertension and hypotension sufferers;
- Improving the quality of sleep, reducing stress levels;
- Increase in cognitive functions (thinking, memory, speech).
All the functions that our body performs – conscious and at the level of reflexes – get a positive effect from the massage.
On the skin
The skin as the largest organ of our body gets a lot of benefits from the sessions. The intense impact of massage therapist ’s hands gives the following results for the skin:
- tones up, increasing turgor (elasticity);
- stimulates blood circulation in the blood vessels;
- improves skin colour;
- removes flabbiness;
- fights cellulite.
On the muscular system
It is much more difficult to work out muscles compare to the skin and subcutaneous fatty tissue, so the massage therapist has to press his hands harder. Massage is a passive load, so a direct mechanical effect on the muscles is similar in effect to the fact that you yourself would make an effort, strain and relax the muscles. During a session of intense muscle development, calories are burned.
On the respiratory system
The respiratory system gets its part of the positive impact. This method of effecting the human body helps with various diseases of the lungs and upper respiratory tract. At the same time, a back massage that stimulates the lungs and a general massage are equally useful. In the latter case, a positive effect on the respiratory system occurs through the central nervous system – at the level of reflexes.
On joints, ligaments, tendons
Using various techniques, you can improve the condition of joints, ligaments and tendons. During the session the specialist acts on the joints indirectly – through the muscles. But since the joints of the arms and legs are closely connected with the muscles, the blood flow and oxygen enrichment of the adjacent muscle tissue cannot but affect the condition of the joints.
With the help of a massage therapist, you can not only strengthen joints, ligaments and tendons, but also improve your condition after injuries and operations in thearea. It is not in vain that this type of physiotherapy is included in rehabilitation courses as one of the key methods for restoring limb motor function.
On the nervous system
Massage has highly beneficial effect on the nervous system. It has been proven that regular sessions, especially in the back, head and feet area, help reduce stress and nervous tension. That’s why massage is so useful for those who have a busy and full work schedule. Two or three sessions a week after work will allow you to increase your working capacity, since this method of physiotherapy relieves muscle tension. Moreover, thanks to neural connections, a chain reaction occurs in the cerebral cortex – the removal of nervous and mental stress.
On the circulatory system
With the help of a massage therapist can significantly improve blood circulation in tissues and organs. Therefore, this type of physiotherapy is so favorable for people having a sedentary, inactive lifestyle. With the help of intensive working out of various muscle structures you can get rid of blood stasis in the tissues. Increased blood circulation automatically improves the functioning of the heart muscle and brain, which receive a portion of blood enriched with oxygen and nutrients.
A positive effect on metabolic processes occurs through the circulatory system. By strengthening the blood supply to the tissues, the massage therapist promotes the intensive delivery of oxygen to the cells. While oxygen is a catalyst for metabolic processes, as well as water. As a result, the metabolic rate increases, which has a positive effect not only on the general state of health, but also on the process of losing weight.
Indications and contraindications for the prescription of massage
Massage is necessary for everybody – adults and children, and the elderly people (in the absence of contraindications).
First of all, massage is needed to healthy people to maintain well-being and prevent various diseases.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system – therapeutic massage, breast massage, acupressure / point massage;
- Respiratory diseases – therapeutic massage, breast massage, back massage, foot massage, honey massage, vacuum cupping massage;
- Injuries, diseases of the musculoskeletal system – therapeutic massage, hand massage, foot massage, back massage, foot massage, acupressure / point massage, Chinese massage, Thai massage;
- Diseases and damage to the nervous system – therapeutic massage, relaxing, Thai massage, foot massage, acupressure / point massage;
- Diseases of the digestive system – therapeutic massage, vacuum cup massage, foot massage;
- Skin diseases – therapeutic massage, acupressure / point massage;
- Diseases of the ear, nose and throat – face massage, therapeutic massage, head massage, acupressure / point massage;
- Eye diseases – osteopathic manual massage, acupressure / point massage;
- Metabolic disorders – therapeutic massage, anti-cellulite massage.
- Pain in the back, lumbar area, neck.
- Bruises, strained tendons and ligaments.
- Fractures at all stages of healing.
- Functional disorders after a fracture and dislocation (joint stiffness, muscle changes, scar tissue fusion).
- Arthritis in the subacute and chronic stages.
- Neuralgia and neuritis.
- Chronic heart muscle failure.
- Angina pectoris.
- Hypertonic disease.
- Rehabilitation period after myocardial infarction.
- Chronic gastritis.
- Impaired motor function of the colon.
- Bronchial asthma.
- Peptic ulcer of the stomach and duodenum (without exacerbation).
- Physical fatigue
- Mental overwork
They are subdivided into:
- Absolute – massage is completely contraindicated;
- Temporary and local – massage is contraindicated in certain areas of the body;
Absolute contraindications to massage:
- malignant tumours (before their radical treatment);
- active tuberculosis;
- acute sexually transmitted diseases;
- acute and chronic osteomyelitis;
- causal syndrome after peripheral nerve injury;
- circulatory failure and heart failure of the 3rd degree;
- angiitis (artery disease);
- diseases with marked changes in the psyche;
- aneurysm of blood vessels, aorta;
- HIV infection;
- blood diseases, bleeding tendency;
- atherosclerosis of peripheral vessels, thromboangiitis in combination with atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels.
Temporary contraindications to massage:
- acute fever;
- acute inflammatory process;
- purulent, infectious processes (furunculosis, etc.);
- lymphadenitis, lymphangitis;
- crises: hypertonic, hypotonic and cerebral;
- multiple allergic rashes on the skin, as well as haemorrhages and oedema;
- nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain;
- alcohol intoxication;
- acute pain requiring narcotic analgesics;
- acute cardiovascular, renal failure.
Local contraindications to massage:
- massage of body parts affected by fungal, viral and other pathogens – warts, herpes, cracks, eczema, etc.;
- body massage in the area of finding a benign tumour, massage of other parts of the body is performed according to a gentle method (only effleurage);
- body massage in areas adjacent to the site of excision of a malignant tumour;
- massage of the front surface of the chest in case of mastopathy;
- massage of the lumbar area, abdomen, thighs with an ovarian cyst, fibroma, myoma, adenoma (in men);
- massage near the protruding moles;
- massage in areas of varicose veins;
- massage of the abdomen in case of hernia, pregnancy, menstruation, stones in the gallbladder and kidneys; massage of the lumbar area is performed by a gentle method;
- massage of the breast, groin and nipples;
- massage of lymph nodes.
Types of massage that our Clinic offers:
Point massage (acupressure) is a type of oriental massage. It is based on the idea that all human organs are connected to each other through nerve fibres and the effect on one of these organs causes a reflex reaction of the others.
On the body there are points connected by a complex system of neural connections and reflex channels with certain organs. By pressing on these points, it is possible to cause a response of these organs, stimulate their work, eliminate painful sensations, and cure inflammation.
Points can be located in a place that is apparently not connected with this organ. For example, the points responsible for the state of the lungs are on the foot, and stomatitis is treated by pressing on certain points behind the ear. There are several hundred such points on the body, the best known are about 150.
Acupressure has a beneficial effect in case of:
- back pain caused by osteochondrosis and intervertebral hernia, infringement of the nerve roots;
- pain in the neck;
- skin diseases;
- enuresis (diseases of the urogenital system), diseases of the urinary tract;
- neuritis and neuralgia of the peripheral nervous system;
- arterial hypertension and hypotension;
- glaucoma, eye strain;
- myopia (short-sightedness);
- obliterating endarteritis (vascular disease with a primary lesion of the arteries of the legs);
- Raynaud’s disease (paroxysmal disorders in the arterial blood supply of the feet and/or hands);
- thyrotoxicosis (increased level of thyroid hormones);
- diseases of endocrinology;
- gynaecological pathology;
- gout arthritis;
- diseases of the liver and gallbladder;
- encephalitis (inflammation of the brain);
- neurosis, depression, insomnia, stress;
- pains in muscles, muscle tissues.
Also, acupressure has a great advantage as a way of balancing vital energy and maintaining well-being and overall health.
A patient before the start of acupressure therapy is necessarily examined by an expert in order to clarify the diagnosis, since the methods of exposure depend on the diagnosis.
It is a complex of techniques aimed at improving the condition of the walls of blood vessels, stimulating the flow and outflow of blood, lymph and extracellular fluid throughout the body.
Anti-cellulite massage is focused mainly on the layer of subcutaneous fat. It is performed locally, in areas with a pronounced cosmetic defect. If cellulite affects not only traditional areas: the stomach, thighs, buttocks, but also other parts of the body, then the massage is given with areas alternating.
As a result, processes inside the body are stimulated, thanks to which it is possible to remove excess water and slags from fat cells and subcutaneous fat and thereby reduce or eliminate cellulite completely.
In addition, anti-cellulite massage makes the muscles of the thighs and buttocks more elastic, thus they are looking young and attractive.
The main purpose of anti-stress / relaxing massage is to prevent psychological and mental stress. The effect is achieved by relaxing the muscles, which reduces the frequency of impulses entering the brain. This helps to reduce its workload, resulting in calm and peace.
How useful is anti-stress / relaxing massage
- It qualitatively and quickly reduces stress and fatigue. Massage brings a sense of joy, excellent well-being, comfort and spiritual harmony. Many psychologists and psychotherapists around the world prescribe massage and sports courses, not antidepressants to the patients with depressive state, insomnia, loneliness and isolation.
- It is an excellent stimulator for metabolic and other body processes. Thanks to massage treatments, a person’s body tone and general condition are improved.
- It positively effects on the skin (improves skin condition).
- It is a good prevention against varicose disease and cellulite formations on the skin.
- It increases immunity.
- Modelling, anti-cellulite and lymphatic drainage techniques are included in the tonic massage.
This type of massage is very effective for those people who have problems with overweight and increased appetite. These 2 problems arise subsequently low self-esteem, lack of positive feelings and emotional joys.
The aim of aromatherapy massage is not to work out the problem muscles and trigger points, but to assist the body and mind relax with the help of essential oils.
In aromatherapy massage essential oils play the key role. The main effect of this massage is relaxation.
Essential oils are absolutely natural highly concentrated plant extracts. There are more than three thousand types of essential oils, each of which has its own set of therapeutic qualities.
Essential oils help fighting pain, muscle spasms, muscle tension, depression, insomnia, asthma, hypertension – the list of indications for the use of essential oils is truly endless.
To solve each problem, special oils are suitable, for example:
- Stress: oil of lavender, sage, lemon
- Inflammation: chamomile oil, everlasting (immortelle)
- Insomnia: oil of Roman chamomile, sage, marjoram, patchouli
- Lack of energy: oil of eucalyptus, grapefruit, lemongrass, rosemary
- Depression: oil of nutmeg, lemon, bergamot, anise.
- Other oils have cleansing, soothing, antibacterial and stimulating effects.
Other oils have cleansing, soothing, antibacterial and stimulating effects.
Cupping massage is based on the principle of vacuum, which causes the flow of blood and lymph to the skin. This method is also used in the fight against cellulite. Massage is carried out by vacuum cups and carried out manually.
Spasmodic muscles interfere with blood flow. Thanks to vacuum cupping massage, the muscles relax, the blood supply and lymph exchange in the tissues are restored.
As a result: toxins and dead cells begin to be effectively removed from the tissues of muscles, fat and skin, all tissues are better supplied with blood, i.e. oxygen and nutrients.
Therapeutic and prophylactic efficacy of the procedures is as follows:
- relaxation of muscle fibres and a decrease in the intensity of myalgia (muscle pain);
- study of tissue at a depth that is not possible with other types of massage;
- reduction of pain in any area due to the effect on skin receptors;
- elimination of impaired nerve conduction, which develops when they are compressed;
- activation of the respiratory function of cells;
- reducing the severity of inflammation;
- reducing the rate of progression of arthrosis, osteochondrosis;
- stimulation of general immunity;
- normalization of blood pressure;
- increase skin resistance to temperature and mechanical factors;
- improvement of the contractile function of muscles, an increase in the rate of resorption of scars;
- effective action on the paravertebral areas of the spine.
Vacuum cupping massage is used for:
Massage of the back with cups allows you to achieve an increase in blood flow and removal of internal oedemas due to the vacuum working out of tissues of the back. With the back massage, the entire body is automatically renewed.
Anti-cellulite massage with vacuum cups allows you to increase skin elasticity, improve blood circulation, speed up metabolic processes, get rid of anaesthetic tubercles, which significantly improves the appearance of the “problem areas”.
This massage is especially designed to reduce muscle tension and relax all your body. Incorporating the use of different massage techniques including stretching it will improve muscle elasticity and leave your body completely relaxed.
One of the most advanced methods of treatment and prevention of many diseases.
Classic massage not only relieves pain, swelling, adhesions, normalizes the functions of organs and systems, but also accelerates the regeneration of injured tissues, restores muscle tone, increases the performance of the musculoskeletal system, strengthens the joint-ligamentous apparatus, providing a tonic effect on the body and restoring psychophysical conditions.
Creole bamboo massage is a technique of healing, relaxing and harmonizing the internal processes of the body.
During the session, not the hands of the massage therapist affect the soft tissues of the body, but specially prepared bamboo sticks. For each part of the body, sticks of different size and shape are used.
The effect of Creole massage is aimed at:
- narrowing and dilation of blood vessels;
- nutrition of cells and tissues;
- acceleration of metabolic processes in the body;
- decrease in muscle tension;
- increase in immunity;
- normalization of the energy state of the body.
Most often, this type of massage is used to combat cellulite, overweight and even obesity. In addition, it is recommended to carry it out with mental and physical fatigue, in order to get rid of stress, to improve venous circulation and to relieve pain.
The efficacy of bamboo massage is particularly pronounced in the hips and buttocks. Namely, these areas in women are considered the most problematic.
Bamboo sticks allow you to have an impact on all acupuncture points that are responsible for the functioning of internal organs and body systems. This explains the health effect of this type of massage.
The safest and most productive, unique massage technology that affects the lymph nodes and lymph in our body. After all, it is important to understand that lymph is an essential part of our body, which is responsible for the ability of a person to resist diseases. It “transports” all vital fluids in the body: water, minerals, amino acids, metabolic products.
Lymphatic drainage massage removes toxins and cell debris from the body, cleansing it and making it healthier, the massage also allows to “disperse” fluids in the body, which contributes to the disappearance of swelling and bruising.
It is used for varicose veins, oedematous syndrome, cellulite, overweight, for general health improvement of the body.
This is a type of massage for weight loss, in which the hands of the massage therapist “pointwise” affect the skin exposed to cellulite. This allows to improve the intracellular metabolism.
Honey anti-cellulite massage shows a wonderful result: the skin becomes soft and silky, internal indurations are smoothed, the blood circulation is normalized, and the state of the body as a whole improves and the muscle tone increases.
The main feature of sculpting body massage is a special technique aiming at eliminating excess fat deposits in problem areas, which leads to the formation of beautiful female and male silhouettes.
The metabolism process is disturbed by age, body fat starts to accumulate at certain places in the body, and the skin becomes unhealthy.
Thanks to sculpting massage, the skin condition improves, blood circulation increases and starts regeneration processes (stimulates the production of collagen and elastin in tissues), puffiness and looseness pass off, the skin tightens and becomes more elastic. It also allows in the shortest possible time to achieve maximum results in reducing the volume of body weight and cellulite correction.
Indications for the procedure of sculpting massage are:
- reduced immunity
Osteopathic manual face modelling is aimed at normalizing the tone of bodily and mimic structures, improving the lymphatic drainage and blood circulation of tissues, fighting wrinkles and sagging skin.
Myofascial structures weaken, which invariably leads to disruption of microcirculation and the launch of the mechanism of tissue damage that changes the biochemical, neurophysiological and mechanical properties of tissues along the vector “inflammation (oedema) – fibrosis – sclerosis.” The tissue is aging prematurely.
With osteopathic manual face modelling, there is a profound effect on the facial tissues and self-healing of the muscular framework of the face.
With the help of certain techniques, a professional relieves spasms, achieves muscle relaxation and allows the facial muscles to assume a natural position.
The result of the applied techniques is:
- Correction of lowering or asymmetry of the face contours, corners of the mouth, cheeks (flews), nasolabial folds;
- Balancing neck muscles;
- Elimination and prophylaxis of a second chin;
- Reduction of puffiness around the eyes, strengthening the circular muscles of the eye;
- Natural lifting of the skin due to the normalization of tissue tone;
- Improving the mood and quality of life after the correction of all the above problems of appearance
Sports massage is recommended for people who lead an active lifestyle and play sports. This procedure allows athletes to improve their achievements, to avoid injury to joints and fatigue.
In this type of massage, the muscles that were strained or will be strained during competition or training should be kneaded most intensively.
Sports massage can be divided into three types:
- Training massage, which is usually carried out during the competition and is necessary in order to maintain the muscles in good shape. It relieves fatigue, contributes to an increase in the amplitude of movements, good ligament work. Massage prepares athletes for competitions, improves the general condition.
- Preliminary massage leads the body to “working” state. It is given before the competition, helps develop muscles and joints, thereby increasing blood flow to them, improves performance and response.
- Restorative massage is necessary for athletes directly after exercise. It allows you to regain strength, relieve tension and prepare the body for the next portion of loads. Restorative massage is used mainly on those muscles that have undergone the strongest loads.
In addition, sports massage has a beneficial effect on the respiratory and cardiovascular systems, and also allows you to relax. As a method of relaxation, it helps to relax not only the entire body, but also the nervous system, relieves stress.
Stone therapy is a healing method based on the properties of stones of different temperature used as the main massage tool. This method of treatment was successfully used in ancient Tibetan medicine: application of stones of different structures to energetically active points helped to get rid of many ailments.
The basis of stone therapy is the effect of contrasting temperatures and the belief in the specific healing energy of stones, which are applied on the energy points of the body. These stones contain a huge amount of useful micro and macro elements, magnesium, iron.
By acting on biologically active points on the body, stones help in the treatment of many diseases, mainly related to the breakdown of the nervous system. Especially stone therapy is useful for stress and depression.
Stone therapy treatment quickly relieves pain in the muscles, spine, neck, legs, speeds up the metabolism, eliminates excess weight.
With regular sessions of stone therapy, blood flow to diseased areas of the body improves, cellular activity is activated, tissues are enriched with oxygen.
Traditional Thai massage is a complete system of healing the whole body, based on Oriental medicine, Buddhist spiritual practice and yoga, recovery of energy balance. This is a general massage of the whole body from the tips of the toes and feet, where there are many biologically active points, to the crown of the head.
Thai massage always begins with the feet. It is believed that on our feet there are projections of all internal organs. Thus, working with the feet at the very beginning of the session, the master can already identify your problem areas. And further, climbing up your body, the master of massage focuses on them.
The technique of such a massage involves stretching the body in certain directions. Massage is carried out on the floor, on a special mat.
Indications for use of Thai massage:
- Chronic headaches. When headaches are caused by compression of nerves in the cervical spine or a vascular spasm, Thai massage will be extremely useful for a person. The main efforts of the massage therapist are aimed at physical effects on the shoulder muscles, the head and the cervical spine.
- Increased fatigue and general fatigue. This procedure has a beneficial effect on the general well-being of a person. Thai massage perfectly fights muscle spasms, restores the natural circulation of blood in the human body, raises the overall tone of the body. Thai massage is particularly useful for people whose profession involves a long stay in the workplace (office workers).
- Depression, sleep disorders. In the case of a nervous system disorder, Thai massage has a sedative/calming effect on the human body. After the first session, the person begins to feel a surge of strength and energy, muscle tone improves, vigor appears, and tiredness accumulated during the day disappears.
The purpose of Thai massage is to return the body to a state of balance and harmony with the help of deep relaxation and the subsequent influx of vitality.
A traditional full body massage using firm pressure to encourage circulation. Strong gliding strokes and stimulating movements help soothe tired aching muscles to leave you energised and revived.
Massage therapist experience: 20 years
(1994 – 1998) Diploma in Medicine, Liepaja Medicine College.
(1996 – 1998) Advanced training course in the specialty “Massage Therapist”, Liepaja Medicine College.
Currently he teaches alternative medicine at the Riga Stradins University (Liepaja branch).
He possesses at a high professional level:
- Classic massage technique;
- Segmental massage technique;
- Eastern energy massage technique
- Bioenergy massage technique;
- Thai massage technique;
- Anti-cellulite massage technique;
- Reflex massage technique;
- Relaxing massage technique;
- Reflex foot massage technique;
- Osteopathic massage technique;
- Massage technique with knees and elbows;
- Ayurvedic massage technique;
- Lana Stretching technique; (1994 – 1998)
Highly qualified specialist in traditional and nontraditional medicine, cosmetology and fitness industry.
Medical experience is from 1982.
– Massage courses
– The 2nd degree of Reiki course
– Spanish School of facial and body Chiromassage
– Fitness – Yoga instructor
– Specialist of Thai Massage and Tibetan Stone Therapy
-Certificate of Ayurvedic Massage
Certificate SPA SCHOOL RIGA 2012
– Miointegral Massage
– FAST RELAX first degree
– Currently is studying in the International Association of Doctors and Specialists on New Technologies “Healthy Academy”
All types of massage are an effective method of therapy, but, like any other method of therapy, it has its own indications and contraindications. Therefore, before starting massage, you should visit a specialist for consultation and exclusion of possible restrictions. Consultation is free.
Professional massage in our Clinic is valued for individual work and the result. Depending on the goal, the duration of the massage session is 30, 40, 70 or 100 minutes.