Bioimpedansometry or Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) is a method for diagnosing the human body composition by measuring impedance – the electrical resistance of body parts – in various parts of the body.
This research allows you to find out how much muscle, fat, bone tissue, as a percentage, are contained in a human body, and also to determine how fast the metabolic processes take place. The method is based on changing the resistance of the body when current passes through different types of tissues.
For the research, a professional scale is used – SECA 515 Medical Body Composition Analyzer (Germany), which after scanning a person in just a 20 seconds determines the percentage composition of the body.
Bioimpedansometry does not cause pain and discomfort. When diagnosing body composition, the weight, height, age, sex and constitution of a person are considered.
SECA (Germany) is a company that has been developing and manufacturing precision measuring systems and measuring instruments of the highest quality since 1840.
Today, SECA is the world market leader in the field of medical measuring systems and devices.
Comparison standards are established when experience and desire for accuracy correspond to the analysis of the body. This results in creating SECA 515 mBCA Medical Body Composition Analyzer.
SECA 515 mBCA is the best instrument for diagnosing many diseases, such as obesity, diabetes mellitus or malnutrition.
SECA 515 mBCA is medically accurate, medically effective, and medically valid.
In everyday life, we need real facts we can rely on, since, human health is what matters.
SECA 515 mBCA allows obtaining accurate results for the most significant measurement parameters.
SECA 515 mBCA differentiates the weight in respect to the most important medical components, such as fat mass, fat free mass, body water (extracellular and intracellular water), and muscle mass.
Clinically verified data
The accuracy of the output parameters of SECA 515 mBCA was confirmed for various ethnic groups in a multicenter study using the appropriate most accurate method, also called the “Gold Standard”. This means that you get data you can really use and rely on.
SECA 515 mBCA scope of application:
- Reducing fat mass, maintaining muscle mass.
- Two values on one easy-to-understand chart: body composition chart.
- A stout person with sufficient activity has an increased muscle mass in addition to an increased fat mass.
- Weight loss programs are often focused on reducing fat mass while maintaining muscle mass.
- SECA 515 mBCA displays fat and fat free mass in one easy-to-understand chart: body composition chart.
People with insulin resistance, suffering from metabolic disorders, often lose a significant amount of water when they start to lose weight. Water loss is often accompanied by cessation of weight loss.
SECA 515 mBCA accurately measures the body water amount over time to evaluate results. Only a clear insight into the problem gives a definite answer.
Indications for use in oncology
Many different factors – one main problem: malnutrition. In more than 22% of patients with neoplasms, cachexia is the direct cause of death.
Accurate measurement of body composition helps detect cachectic conditions. Examination results allow monitoring and adjusting nutritional status during treatment in order to reduce mortality.
Indications for use in nephrology
- Body water: the right level is important.
- Monitoring body water is of great importance.
- Nutritional factors also play an important role.
- Kidneys should get as little protein as possible. On the other hand, insufficient protein intake can lead to cachectic conditions.
Indications for use in heart failure
- Vital for the heart: optimal dietetic therapy.
- The prognosis worsens if the amount of nutrients in the patient’s body is insufficient due to loss of muscle and fat mass (cardiac cachexia).
- About 15–20% of patients with chronic heart failure are susceptible to cardiac cachexia.
- Diagnosis is difficult to set, as edema can mask significant loss of fat and muscle mass(Extracellular) water should also be taken into account.
Indications for use in diabetology
Two serious problems: overweight and obesity. More than 90% of diabetics have acquired type 2 diabetes, caused mainly by poor nutrition and sedentary lifestyle.
Examination shows a decrease in fat mass while maintaining skeletal muscle mass. Accurate monitoring of fat and muscle mass, especially with the help of body composition charts, helps control the treatment.
- The key to restoring work productivity is SECA 515 mBCA.
- Helps monitor changes in body composition in case of injuries.
- Is the basis of rehabilitation therapy.
- Segmental analysis of the muscles (arms, legs, torso) helps determine the specific physiotherapy treatment needed.
- Controls body composition over time.
- Perfect preparation activities is the only thing that guarantees future success.
- Estimation of fat and muscle mass is very important before starting pre-contest preparation or training camp activities before the beginning of the season.
- Experienced sports medicine doctors can determine threshold values for specific sports disciplines or specific positions in order to optimize performance.
- Small height, great potential.
- Young athletes often lack skeletal muscle mass to participate in competitions.
- Use of specially selected exercises for muscle development and nutritional therapy.
- Increased muscle mass should be adjusted to prevent lack of mobility.
- SECA mBCA is a perfect instrument for this.
- Turn exhaustion into recovery.
- Phase angle monitoring can allow evaluation of overtraining and exhaustion.
- Incomplete recovery and insufficient nutrients intake leads to a decrease in phase angle.
- This results in the inflammatory reactions of the body cells.
- Differential diagnosis is shown.
- Comprehensive assessment withSECA 515 mBCA.
- Malnutrition assessment plays an increasingly important role.
- Treatment of patients at risk of obesity, predisposed to diabetes and atherosclerosis.
- Treatment of patients with below-normal body weight and symptoms of deficiency.
- Treatment of patients with normal body weight, but reduced muscle mass and metabolic rate.
- Water is life, but too much water is a serious risk factor.
- Assessment of the body water content is vital in many areas of medicine. It is especially valuable for patients suffering from nephrological, gastrointestinal, hepatorenal and cardiac diseases.
- Monitoring of the total body water amount, extracellular water and water distribution helps detect and control edema.
- Monitoring of muscle function is used in various areas:
- Diabetology, athletic training management, rehabilitation, physiotherapy.
- This is especially easily done through segmental analysis of the limbs: arms, legs and torso.
- Values are compared with standard indicators.
- One quick measurement – two vital answers.
- Provides information about health status.
- Helps detect clinically significant nutritional inadequacy.
- Perfect for monitoring patients with malignant neoplasms, COPD or chronic heart failure.
- For low phase angle values, differential diagnostics is indicated (depending on the age).
Basic health indicators measured by SECA 515 mBCA:
Percentage analysis of the amount of fluid determines the presence of oedema and dehydration. Its normal content is 45-60%.
An increase in the value indicates a poor excretion of water from the body, oedema caused by disruption of the kidneys and the endocrine system, while a decrease – the dehydration.
The BMI indicator worries people who are unhappy with their weight. This value indicates that the height corresponds to the mass of the body. Normal BMI is 18.5 – 24.99 kg/m², its excess indicates obesity, and a decrease – malnutrition.
The BMI value above 25 kg/m² indicates an increased weight, and over 30 kg/m² indicates obesity of:
- I degree – 30,0 – 34,9 kg/m²
- II degree – 35.0 – 39.9 kg/m²
- III degree – over 40.0 kg/m²
BMI depends on age. People with increased BMI need to consult with a nutritionist and choose a diet that helps to lose excess pounds.
- The metabolic rate detected by Bioimpedanceometry depends on a variety of causes – age, hereditary factors, lifestyle, endocrine system performance and much more.
- The more calories a person spends per day, the slower the person gains weight and loses it more easily.
- A person with a weak metabolism will require increased stress and a strict diet for weight loss.
- There are no precise indicators for this parameter. Changes can be traced only after a repeated examination. People with a sharp increase in the metabolic rate should be checked by an endocrinologist, having passed tests for hormones.
This is the total mass of all body organs, including the liquid contained in them. In the norm, this value is 75-85%. With an improperly chosen weight loss program, the body loses weight not at the expense of fat loss, but by reducing the weight of organs.
Sometimes a decrease in ACM, detected by Bioimpedanceometry, is caused by problems with the thyroid gland. This result is an occasion to consult an endocrinologist and nutrition specialist.
This value indicates the ratio of the mass of muscles to the total weight. In the norm, this value is 30-40%. The reduction in body weight due to the fall of muscle, rather than adipose tissue is very dangerous. Instead of thin muscles, fat appears in a person; the body becomes flabby and ugly.
To avoid this, when losing weight, you need to combine a diet with exercise, and not just reduce the total amount of food consumed, but rather to remove high-calorie foods from the menu.
Reduction of muscle mass is observed in severe muscle pathologies, so a sharp decrease in the value is an occasion to consult a physician.
Advanced health indicators measured by SECA 515 mBCA:
Medically precise distinction between fat mass and fat free mass is especially important when observing weight changes. This is especially necessary for patients with overweight, obesity and exhaustion.
Development and maintenance of skeletal muscle mass plays is important for exhausted patients, in sports medicine, and in reducing body weight. The display shows individual values for each limb of the patient, as well as his/her torso.
BCC displays fat mass and fat free body mass as a chart, allowing you to interpret body composition at a glance. In addition, a number of measurements can be used to determine fat mass distribution in case of any changes in weight.
Total body water, intracellular water and extracellular water are determined separately. This helps determine dry weight, detect edema, improve weight loss assessment and diagnose dehydration.
Information about the fluid state and cellular body mass is presented as a chart, which makes it possible to better analyze patients’ hydration, nutritional status and physical aptitude. BIVA is important for nutritional counseling, sports medicine and nephrology.
The phase angle can be considered an indicator of the state and performance of human muscle tissue and of metabolism level. Small somatic cell disruptions can be detected earlier, the severity of cancer, heart diseases and HIV can also be reliably determined. In the field of primary care and sports medicine, phase angle indicator can help determine the first signs of fatigue earlier.
The greater the value of visceral fat is, the higher the risk of cardiometabolic diseases rises. SECA 515 mBCA allows early detection of negative trends, which will help introduce the appropriate procedures and treatments.
Bioimpedansometry is indicated to:
- People who manage weight;
- Athletes, and those who often visit gyms;
- In dietetics, to choose the right way to lose weight;
- People suffering from diseases affecting weight and metabolic processes;
- Those who are at risk for diseases of bones, muscles, kidneys and the endocrine system;
- Patients with hypertension and other ailments causing the formation of concealed oedema. The procedure helps determine the efficacy of diuretics and other medications;
- Those who just want to test their health.
Having passed Bioimpedanceometry, you will know:
- Your body weight which is ideal for your health. The amount of fat in kilograms and percent.
- The amount of extracellular fluid (blood, lymph), intracellular fluid and liquids in the body in a bound state (in the oedema).
- The amount of active cell mass in kilograms and percent (muscles, organs, brain and nerve cells).
- Body mass index.
- Your main metabolism (kcal) – metabolism for 24 hours at rest.
- Deviation of the measured values from the norm.
- You’ll be able to track the dynamics of changes.
- The level of metabolism and the recommended daily intake of calories.
Such an examination is recommended to be held on a regular basis for all people. Be sure to pass Bioimpedanceometry with a sharp change in weight to find out what happened in the body. This will allow you to adjust the nutrition and fluid intake, reduce or increase physical exertion and even serve as an occasion to be screened for some diseases.
Contraindications to the procedure of Bioimpedansometry:
- Pregnancy, since in this period it is useless;
- With elevated temperature, during menses and in a stressful state, since the results of Bioimpedanceometry will be distorted;
- Patients with pacemakers. The impact of electric current can affect the operation of devices, leading to serious consequences.
For more accurate results, it is recommended:
- Do not eat or drink before the procedure;
- Do not drink strong coffee, tea or alcohol on the eve;
- A week before the examination, stop taking diuretics that remove water from the body;
- Go to the toilet, and in case of constipation – make an enema;
- Pass the examination in free underwear, not constraining blood circulation;
- Coming to the procedure from the street, in the cold or hot weather, you need to sit for a while in the room;
- Do not move during the measurement.
Body composition analysis using SECA 515 mBCA.
If the Achilles tendon is injured, the patient is forced to stop all physical activities until the injury is cured. As a result of inactivity, muscle mass decreases and fat mass increases.
Such changes can be monitored with SECA 515 mBCA.
Weight loss assessment.
In case of overweight, the patient loses a significant weight amount in a short period of time.
At the same time, measurement with SECA 515 mBCA shows that fat mass has decreased significantly, and muscle mass – significantly.
This means abnormal weight loss and low activity level. Now you can deal with it.
Control of water distribution.
Chronic renal failure causes water retention in the body.
Measurement with SECA 515 mBCA can help you determine the patient’s dry weight more accurately, as well as compare the patient’s hydration state before and after dialysis.
Substance loss determination.
For example, cachexia within cancer disease is manifested as a decrease in cell mass of the body. SECA 515 mBCA can help you measure cell mass at regular intervals in order to detect the loss of substances earlier and to get an early start to the required nutritional therapy.
Systematic weighing and analysis of the obtained data will help the patients to adapt the diet and exercise program to their weight and achieve results faster.